After World War II, there were very few working dogs in the Soviet Union as many had been killed during the war. Because of this, the government wanted to raise a population of utility dogs. The Central School of Military Dog Breeding – KRASNAYA ZVEZDA Dog Kennel received a government order to raise a population of utility dogs that could be used for guarding sensitive facilities under various climate conditions.
KRASNAYA ZVEZDA Dog Kennel was mainly breeding dogs for the army and military organizations. Because the German Shepard was the only breed of dog in the country at the time, other breeds, like the Newfoundland, Rottweiler, Giant Schnauzer and others were introduced. Major General G.P. Medvedev was in charge of the breeding works in the kennel, which were focused on breeding big, angry, functional dogs.
Because process consisted of mass crossbreeding within the existing population it is impossible to list all the breeds that have contributed to today’s Blackies. Some of the breeds were the Giant Schnauzer, the Rottweiler, the Airedale Terrier and the Moscow water dog (a mix of the Caucasian shepherd, the Newfoundland dog and the German shepherd). G.P. Medvedev began working on the Russian Black Terrier when a Giant Schnauzer named Roy, one of the breeders, began producing offspring that were large, black and with fringes on the head and extremities, no matter what breed, color or wool type the female.
The Central School of Military Dog Breeding first generation exhibited at the All-Union Agricultural Expo (currently All-Russia Exhibition Center) in 1955, and the school experts were awarded the AAE Gold Medal for their accomplishment. In the 50s KRASNAYA ZVEZDA nursery closely cooperated with utility dog kennel clubs. It was already in in 1955 and 1956 the Blackies started emerging in Moscow, Leningrad and Sverdlovsk. In 1958, forty-three Black Terriers were exhibited at the All-Union Expo. The variety was deemed quite promising and attracted close attention of many amateur canine breeders. While the breed creators initially formed the physical and working capabilities of the Black Terrier, these dogs attained their spectacular appearance much later. The military experts were not concerned with the dog’s appearance; they wanted a hard working dog that was easy to maintain. Thick fur with developed decorative hair causes much inconvenience when taking care of angry animals. Today, dogs with stiff, wire-like fur are nearly extinct. The breeders wanted to see their animals pretty, so now the Blackie has lots of thick and long beautiful fur which is, however, harder to maintain.
In 1958 the first standard of the Black Terrier breed variety is published.
In 1981 the Black Terrier is deemed a separate, independent breed. The first standard was approved on May 13, 1981.
In 1984 the breed was acknowledged by the FCI and the International Canine Federation approved the standard.
In 1993 the Utility Dog Breeder Federation of Russia approved the second version of the standard that more closely resembles the modern type of Black Terriers.
On August 19, 2008 the RCF approved the new version of the breed standard for what is now called the Russian Black Terrier.
The last version of standard of Black Russian Terrier become in 2010.
For many years the Black Terrier was used as a guard and service dog. Today, Russian Black Terriers also make wonderful companions and beloved pets as they display the best qualities of their forefathers. They are solemn and reserved like the Newfoundland, intelligent and joyful like the Airedale Terrier, powerful and strong like the Rottweiler, and energetic and resourceful like the Giant Schnauzer. It is for these characteristics that it is rightfully named The Black Perl.
The above contains material from “The Russian Black Terrier”
by M. Gerasimova and E. Lemekhova and magazines.